|President||Dr. Alvetta Peterman Thomas|
|Year of establishment||1945|
|Address||1560 Metropolitan Parkway SW|
Atlanta Technical College
Atlanta Technical College (Atlanta Tech or ATC) is a unit of the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG), and provides education services for Fulton and Clayton counties. Atlanta Tech is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees, diplomas, and technical certificates of credit.
Tracing its origin through six decades, Atlanta Technical College has grown from fairly modest beginnings. Atlanta Technical College was established as Smith-Hughes Vocational School at 232 Pryor Street, and first enrolled adults in vocational education in 1945 following World War II. The school was moved in 1964 to Smith High School at 535 Hill Street and renamed Hoke Smith Technical Institute. At that time, about 24 occupational programs were offered. Federal funding for vocational education in the late 1960s promoted the concept of area vocational technical schools.In 1953, the Northside extension campus, Tuxedo Center, was opened at 4191 Northside Drive in northwest Atlanta. In 1967, the school was reorganized as Atlanta Area Technical School and was moved to its current southwest campus, enrolling its first students in the new facilities in January 1968. The Child Care Center and Ferguson Hall Annex were completed the same year. In 1997, the school's name was changed to Atlanta Technical Institute, and the institution became part of the Georgia Department of Technical and Adult Education. Dr. Brenda Watts Jones was tapped to become president, making her the first African-American woman in Georgia to lead a technical institution. She served the college until 2007, and Dr. Alvetta Peterman Thomas was named president in 2008.
The Atlanta Technical College is a Private university located in Atlanta.
The Atlanta Technical College was founded in 1945.
The current president of Atlanta Technical College is Dr. Alvetta Peterman Thomas.